Sunday, December 04, 2005

A Perfect Day for Dyeing

YARN!! That is!

Knitting gal Becky has been talking about our group getting together to dye yarn for some time. She and Sandy were the first to venture into some Kool-Aid dyeing and then back in June Pam, Becky and Liz took a class at Holly Spring Homespun. The rest of us had NO EXPERIENCE at all.

Well today was the day. Our resident dyeing expert Becky had everything all neatly arranged at her lovely log home.
She and Sandy had already mixed the dyes and labeled each jar. Beth P. is eyeing some of the goodies we had brought to fortify ourselves for the event.Becky is in the backgound studying the color chart.

Please note how nicely everything is organized.

I think this is when we were listening to Becky explain the procedure for dyeing. Pam and Liz are paying close attention. I was a "step at a time " kinda gal.


Here we are mixing up our custom, one of a kind colors . Sandy in the white tee-shirt assisted many of us in working with the colors.Thanks BUNCHES for my green! Without Sandy it was very dark and muddy looking.Pam looks like she is sweetening tea..lots of tea.



This is a picture of Liz and Beth spreading out their yarn. That is Pam's yarn in the foreground. Isn't it beautiful?

It was at this point that my camera battery died and left me unable to document the day further. So you miss us "Saran wrapping" it and steaming the yarn in the crabpot out on the back deck and then the final rinsing. I have a new appreciation for hand dyed yarn. I now understand just how much work is involved..alot!

We did take a group picture holding our yarn as well as a picture of all the completed yarn. So just as soon as Liz gets me a copy I will post it. They all turned out so well and it was so much fun.

It just doesn't get much better than this. I am so happy to have such a special, wonderful group of friends. We will be coming up on our 1st year anniversary in January and yet I now feel like we have been friends forever. Thanks Becky for hosting such a wonderful dyeing experience. Thanks Sandy for all you did to help Becky get ready for us and for your expert color advice. AND special thanks to Becky's dh Gordon for the best BRISKET ever!!! and thanks to all the knitting gals for the wonderful food...the derby dip, the macaroni and cheese, lasagne and salad, the sweet potatoes, and the belated birthday cake ( for Becky), chocolate pie, lemom tart and my foodness( decided to leave the typo in) did I leave anything out?!?! It was just a wonderful day with good friends, good food and fiber. ( My friend Lawre calls that the 3 F's)

Hopefully more pictures to come! Still knitting for Christmas but oh so slowly....

5 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Raye said...

Hey Emmy,
I tried replying to your comment on my blog by email, but for some reason that doesn't work--I thought I'd done it before, but maybe not. Anyway, this is the message I intended to send.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog, as well as the compliments on my socks
and Cinxia :o)

Where in VA are you--I read some of your blog, and I'm assuming down near
South Hill/Emporia. We're between Williamsburg and Richmond--we have a nice
maybe inch or two of snow covering the grass this morning.

I read your post about the knitting store in Powahatan (sp) and may visit
there myself--a little over an hour ride, not too bad. I'll be visiting
Lexington, VA the week after Christmas, do you know of any lys in that area?

Smith Mtn Lake--we vacationed there last summer--great place.

Come by again! I hope that the Japanese sweater won't overwhelm me. I'm glad
others will be knitting it too--you should join in :o)

Jen

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great day! I can't wait to see what it turns into....

And goodness, does all of that food sound delicious!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Hi Emmy,

Are you a Richmond knit-blogger? I've been surfing to find other Richmond knitters to add to my blog's sidebar under "Local Knitters", so let me know, and I'll add you!

7:10 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Thanks for finding the blog!

I started the reading knitblogs to find patterns, then to admire people's work (like Mason-Dixon, LOVE them) and now I keep in touch w/my knitbuds through the blogs.

I am thrilled to add you to my bloglist--still love the dyeing pictures. I bet that was really fun.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

We want updates! Come on girl, I know you have some pictures to share :)

See you tomorrow!

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Primary Pulmonary Hypertension
Primary Pulmonary Hypertension