Sunday, June 17, 2007

A Knitting Story for Robin

HELLO. It is good to see you again. Today is the last day to tell Robin a Knitting story so here is mine:

My Mom taught me to knit when I was about 10 or so. She taught me how to cast on, knit,purl and cable. I used to watch her knit and she made lovely things. She made mohair cabled sweaters, one out of a gorgeous peach orange mohair. My favorite of all the things she made was a SUIT it was in thinking back, probably of the Chanel style. A black double breasted collared jacket and a black and white "tweedy" PLEATED skirt! I loved that outfit and always coveted it. My Mother is tall and thin so it would never have worked for me. I can remember in my early adult years I would come home and look at that suit in the drawer in tissue paper. It gave me a great sense of awe because the one thing she forgot to teach me was how to read a pattern!! I stopped knitting and purling and cableing doll blankets ( I now know knitters call what I did a SWACH) and did not pick up the needles again for many many years. I have since found that long ago buried desire to knit and more importantly I found friends with the patience to assist me along the way in understanding how to read a pattern and knit something that is more than a swatch. Will I ever knit a suit? Probably not! I am still not of the body type to wear a knit skirt. But I did buy the pattern and yarn to make this
It will be the most complicated sweater I will have made to date. I thank my Mom for teaching me the basics and I think my friends for being there and always helping me with the "rest of the story"




This is my Christmas stocking Mom made for me many many years ago probably when I was a baby! I have treasured it for all these years and still hang it up at Christmas. It was of the few things left from her knitting heyday. I asked her a couple of years ago when I started to knit again whatever happened to the suit. Sadly she had given it away.

4 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

The sweater looks like it will be really beautiful! I hope you will let us in blogworld know when you've started it! I would love to watch its progress.

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great story! I love the jacket you're going to knit and can't wait to watch the progress. The stocking your Mom knit is so cute. Indeed a treasure! Thanks for the story.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Great stocking, and that sweater is gorgeous!

11:19 PM  
Blogger Apocalypsology said...

That's the same christmas stocking I have, knitted for me by my Aunt Thelma in 1959!

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Primary Pulmonary Hypertension
Primary Pulmonary Hypertension